raw vegan pad thai
By Chris Kendall RHN
Thai has always been one of my favourite cuisines, with pad thai being a go-to dish. Over the years, I have made many raw versions; this one is not only the most authentic, it is also the quickest and easiest to make. It’s sweet, savoury and jam-packed with healthy whole ingredients, and I hope you love it as much as I do!
(makes 1 – 4 servings; approx.750 calories)
Zucchini (.7 lb / 320 g)
Napa cabbage (.3 lb / 130 g)
Bok choy (.12 lb / 60 g)
Red pepper (.06 lb / 30 g)
Red cabbage (.06 lb / 30 g)
Carrots (.06 lb / 30 g)
Water (1 cup)
Hemp Seeds (1/4 cup)
Medjool dates, 4 (.24 lb / 110 g)
*Tamarind 1/4 cup (.04 lb / 20 g)
Thumb fresh ginger (.04 lb / 20 g)
2 Green onions (.04 lb / 20 g)
Sundried tomato 1/4 cup (.04 lb / 20 g)
Cilantro fresh (.04 lb / 20 g)
1 clove garlic, 1 hot pepper
- Using a julienne peeler, spiralizer, grater or mandolin, make noodles out of the zucchini and carrots and place into a bowl. The Titan Julienne Peeler is my favourite tool to make the flat thin pad thai like noodles in this recipe.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the Napa cabbage, bok choy and red cabbage into thin noodle-like strands, and add to bowl.
- Optional: pre-cut / noodle the red cabbage and carrots, then freeze for 6+ hours beforehand, and then thaw and mix with the other noodles for a softer, more cooked texture. Texture wise, this will take the dish to the next level and really mixes nice with the other raw textures.
- Thinly slice the red pepper into 1 inch matchsticks and add to the bowl; mix all ingredients well and set aside.
- Blend 1 cup of water or coconut water with 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds until smooth.
- Pit and add the dates, tamarind (making sure there are no seeds), ginger, the white bulbs of the green onions and the sundried tomatoes to the blender. * If you cannot find sour tamarind (it usually comes in a block), you can substitute with 13 grams apricot and 1 tsp. lime juice.
- Blend until smooth and really thick only adding more water / coconut water if absolutely necessary.
- Add the green onion tops and the cilantro last; pulse blend to evenly mix without fully pureeing.
- Pour the thick sauce over the shredded veggie noodles, mix well and enjoy!
Chris Kendall earns his “bananas” flowing as a Registered Holistic Nutritionist (RHN), 100 per cent Raw and Transitional Lifestyle Coach, Kendalini Yoga Creator and Raw Food Chef. A 16-year raw vegan, Chris shares the abundance he has found through running retreats, via in-person/online consultation services, sharing/ chefing/teaching yoga at festivals, raw recipe e-books and his free raw recipes app. His budding vision — the TRA Dream, a non-profit 501 c(3) charity — is focused on creating donation-based holistic healing, yoga, permaculture, and educational retreat centres around the world.