Toast talks to Saskatoon-based serial entrepreneur Jess Tetu. This column is all about her sixth key to entrepreneurial success – stay inspired.
#6 – Stay Inspired
#7 – Give Back
#6 – Stay Inspired
“Inspiration opens the door to our souls! Allow yourself to be inspired and watch your world open up!”
Staying inspired is key to moving forward and, ultimately, to becoming successful. I like to compare filling our minds with inspiration to filling a piggy bank with money. You have to make “deposits” and put something IN for it to grow. You cannot continuously make “withdrawals” and not expect inspiration to run out.
As an entrepreneur, it’s important to find creative ways to stay motivated and inspired and to keep your mind full of inspiration.
20 tips to staying inspired
1. Review your goals (see key #1 Goal Writing) to see how far you have come. Take a good look at your accomplishments and review where it is you want to go next. This will help inspire you to keep going and to keep reaching for those goals! Seeing just how far you have come can be extremely helpful in moving forward.
2. Remind yourself of your ‘WHY.’ WHY did you start your business? WHY do you do what you do? Recognize what led you to start this business to begin with. Get back to the roots of your entrepreneurial inspiration!
3. Create a plan – a great way to get excited about moving forward is to create a plan on how you are going to accomplish a set-out goal. Lay it out for yourself so you can visualize accomplishing the task and reaching a specific goal.
4. Change your work environment occasionally to bring a refreshed and focused energy to your day. A change of surroundings can be really inspiring – take some time in nature, work from a park, library or coffee shop.
5. Learn something new and educate yourself. The more you learn, the more you are sure to be inspired.
6. Listen to a speaker or a podcast that you find inspiring. Hearing about someone else’s entrepreneurial journey can help you overcome fear and is a positive reminder of what’s possible.
7. Register for a webinar, conference or workshop. Let professionals not only educate you but inspire you, by providing the tools to take the next steps necessary for your business to thrive.
8. Research industry leaders – specifically, look at what others in your industry are doing. What unique ideas have they implemented? What are their marketing strategies? What can you learn from them? What are industry leaders doing that you’re not doing? How can you utilize these ideas uniquely?
9. Hire a mentor – a mentor can give you the push in the right direction you need! Find someone who gets excited about your ideas and believes in your business to ensure this mentor is the right fit for you. A mentor can give you a confidence boost AND help get your creative mind back on track.
10. Utilize your social media to follow people and pages that inspire you. This could be business professionals or leaders you look up to, or pages specifically created to provide inspiration. If this positivity is a constant in your social feeds, it can uplift your spirits and continue to motivate you.
11. Surround yourself with a circle of support and friends who inspire you to be better. Creating an environment with positive, like-minded individuals can be a significant motivator towards reaching new goals! Bounce ideas off one another and help each other navigate business obstacles.
12. Leave positive affirmations for yourself as gentle reminders to keep going. Some days, a sticky note, screensaver, or a kind note to yourself with positive words of encouragement can be the little pick-me-up that you need.
13. Make vision boards or Pinterest boards of creative ideas. Creating visuals can help you envision your goals!
14. Make a gratitude list – jot down notes of all the things you are grateful for and review it often.
15. Read motivational and inspirational books, articles and magazines. Keep them close by and handy. Highlight specific pieces that really speak to you or that you connect with. Read these more than once and keep ones that really motivate you to review on a regular basis.
16. Listen to music – music is proven to create emotion. Put on a playlist of your favourite artist or music compilation and sit with your emotions. Often, music helps you feel creative and can inspire you to think differently.
17. Keep a notepad handy. Make notes of ideas as they pop into your mind and, when inspiration strikes, be sure to jot down your ideas so you don’t lose them and forget.
18. Get organized – organize your workspace and keep things clutter-free. To remain efficient and productive, you need to feel comfortable in the space where you are being creative.
19. Have fun! Focus on the things about your job that you enjoy, and spend time creating fun ways to be creative!
20. Reward yourself. Give yourself rewards when you accomplish a goal or task. This is a fantastic way to stay motivated and inspired to do more!