Known as a vibrant arts center and “the city of trees” for its many parks and green spaces, Buffalo is one city that’s full of romantic date ideas. Whether you’ve lived in Buffalo for a while or you’re going to be passing through with your significant other sometime soon, there are plenty of options for spending the day or evening together in a unique way.
It can be easy to get stuck in a rut and spend your date nights going to the same restaurant every week, or worse, forgo date night altogether. While life tends to get in the way for most couples, there’s always time to reignite that spark and do something that will revive your love for the city — and each other.
5 Must-Try Date Ideas in Buffalo
Without further ado, here are five ideas for a fun and romantic date in Buffalo:
1. Visit an Art Museum
Located in Buffalo’s vibrant cultural center, the Albright-Knox Art Gallery has been a staple of the city since the 19th Century. Check out one of their fascinating current exhibits like “The Space Between: Frank Lloyd Wright” or “Hervé Tuller: Shape and Color” and try to think of some clever artistic commentary beforehand to impress your date.
2. Go On a Tour of the City’s Best Street Art
Buffalo is also known for its beautiful and expressive street art and murals. Stroll through Hertel Avenue, the Michigan Street African American Heritage Corridor and the Black Rock area to check out some of the city’s most impressive outdoor murals while learning something new about the history of the area.
3. Go Rock Climbing
Looking for a date idea that’s more active and will get your blood pumping? Your date will no doubt be impressed if you take them rock climbing for the day at an indoor gym like Central Rock Gym. Work your muscles and learn a new skill while you bond with your date (plus, you can be a true romantic hero and catch them if they fall, but let’s hope that doesn’t happen).
4. Set Sail on a Romantic River Cruise
The Buffalo waterfront has plenty of evening river cruises, sailboat outings and harbor adventures that would be perfect for an out-of-the-box date idea. You could even rent a paddleboat for two and bring a picnic lunch for a romantic day out on the water.
5. Cozy Up at the Drive-in
The Buffalo Waterfront also holds a regular drive-in movie series near the outer harbor, and it’s completely free (but we won’t tell your date that). Pack some blankets, pillows and snacks, and drive right in to catch classic flicks like “A Star is Born” or “Jurassic Park.”
Looking for more things to do in Buffalo?
Fun Things to Do in Buffalo
- Serve yourself a beer on tap at Pour Taproom Buffalo, where you can try as many beers as you want and pay by the ounce
- Snap an Instagrammable shot of yourself at Selfie WRLD Buffalo, a “DIY photography studio” full of unique backdrops
- Listen to some great music from JazzBuffalo, which wants to bring jazz back to the people
- Stroll through large projections of Vincent Van Gogh paintings through this Buffalo exhibit, which promises an immersive and unforgettable experience
- Visit the downtown core to see artist Josef Kristofoletti’s Buffalo mural, titled “Golden Hour”, a vibrant addition to the area.