Earth Day is on April 22nd, and is celebrated every year to not only support environmental protection efforts, but also to raise awareness of the climate crisis and how we can collectively take action to help the planet. In honor of Earth Day, we’ve put together a sustainability themed quiz.
Earth Day Quiz
Take our Earth Day quiz to test your knowledge about the issues facing our planet, learn about the inspirational people raising awareness of the climate crisis, and the simple but effective things you can do to help make a difference.
You can download our free Earth Day printable quiz (with an answer key) right here!
Or take the Earth Day quiz below. The answer for each question is below the photo.
1) What percentage of global emissions are caused by transportation?
More than two-thirds of this figure comes from road vehicles. Ditch your car and walk, bike or take public transit to reduce emissions. Find out what other lifestyle changes will help tackle climate change.
2) What year was the first Earth Day held?
More than 50 years later, the day has only become more relevant and important. The theme for this year’s Earth Day is “invest in our planet.” In honor of Earth Day 2022, join a cleanup, educate yourself or donate to an organization dedicated to environmental stewardship.
3) What is the global temperature threshold that if surpassed, will result in catastrophic and permanent damage to the climate?
- 1.5 degrees Celsius
- 1.8 degrees Celsius
- 2 degrees Celsius
A. 1.5 degrees Celsius
The IPCC 2022 report on climate change says it’s now or never to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius in the next few decades.
4) Which one of these fruits have edible skins and cooking with them can reduce food waste?
Cooked banana peels are edible. Have too many ripe bananas? Make banana peel bread to reduce food waste.
5) The earth’s surface is 71% water. How much of this water exists in the form of oceans?
Our oceans are an essential component of the earth’s ecosystem and need to be protected to ensure a sustainable future. Find out what you can do to save the oceans.
6) What percentage of clothing in the United States ends up in the garbage?
Join your local Buy Nothing group to gift gently used clothing that would be appreciated by someone else.
7) How old is climate activist Greta Thunberg?
The young climate activist is known for challenging world leaders for inaction in the face of the global climate crisis. The Swedish powerhouse told world leaders at the UN Climate Action Summit: “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words… We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!”
8) Which famous celebrity founded an organization dedicated to solving the global water crisis?
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Matt Damon
- Jessica Alba
B. Matt Damon
Matt Damon is one of the celebrities leading the fight against climate change. He is a co-founder of the H20 Africa Foundation, now known as water.org, and has become one of the world’s most foremost experts on the global water crisis.
9) What are carbon offsets?
- When carbon is transported away by water running off over the soil’s surface
- A credit you can purchase to pay for a reduction in greenhouse gasses that have already occurred
- A key component of dinosaur fossils
B. A credit you can purchase to pay for a reduction in greenhouse gasses that have already occurred
Purchasing carbon offsets for international travel is a practical way to travel green.
10. What pantry ingredient makes a great homemade cleaning solution?
Combine one-part baking soda to two parts vinegar for a green spring cleaning hack to freshen up your home.
Lead image credit: Earth Day Quiz graphic created by Verna Johnson/mytoastlife.com.